So you have been hearing about the Genesis framework on a bunch of blogs that you admire. You have even seen the words pop up on this website, but you don't know what it is and you're not quire sure how to work it out. Let's demystify it all for you!
- Genesis is great for SEO (search engine optimisation) meaning that your website will be picked up by search engines like Google much more efficiently.
- Genesis themes are responsive across all devices, so you don't have to worry about which device your visitors are viewing your site on - it adjusts to work perfectly whether you are using desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Once you have purchased Genesis you get unlimited (and fantastic!) support through the forum and support tickets and also unlimited updates.
- Genesis is harder for hackers to penetrate, so you have peace of mind!
- Themes are highly versatile and easy to customise. It's optimised to use widgets, plugins and advertising - making your life a whole heap easier!
BUT HOW DOES IT ACTUALLY WORK?
One of the big things that confuses people is how you actually run Genesis. It's super simple. You need a self-hosted Wordpress site (unsure about installing Wordpress? Read this guide!) and the Genesis framework is uploaded as a zipped theme.
Appearance > Themes > Add New
Studiopress (the company that makes Genesis) describes your website as being a car. Wordpress is the engine! It is the inner workings of your website.
The Genesis framework is body and frame of your car. It's the structure.
When you upload your zipped theme to your Wordpress site, it can be used on it's own. You would get a clean, simple website but your customisation options would be extremely limited. Similarly, your car would be basic, simple.
But if you use Genesis with a Genesis Child Theme, your options are infinitely more!
3. GENESIS CHILD THEME
Think of the Genesis Child Theme as the paint job, the bells and whistles.
Think back to the websites that first introduced you to Genesis. You may have noticed the colours, the images, the unique layouts and functionality. Take a look at this website - the way the homepage is laid out, the areas in the sidebar and the elements through the site. All of these things are a result of a Child Theme.
There are an array of Child Themes on offer around the web. Studiopress, the creators of Genesis, offer a range of themes or you can choose to purchase one from an independent designer, like Brand IT Girl!
And the best part - using Genesis and Genesis Child Themes don't require knowledge of code. You can get a gorgeous website up and running in no time without needing to know any advanced coding at all. However, if you do know how to code, there are also endless opportunities for code customisation.